HOW WE SELECT OUR TRAINEES
School Direct (Salaried) and SCITT Programmes
Candidates are short-listed following reference to the person specification and if successful are invited for interview. The interview day can take place at Henry Maynard Primary or in a school within the partnership.
During the interview day you will:
- spend time in a class supporting the teacher
- be observed delivering a 30 minute maths or English lesson to a class (School Direct) or be observed reading a 10 minute story to a class (SCITT)
- have an interview with a panel consisting of the Henry Maynard Training E17 Manager and headteachers or representatives from our partner schools
- complete our internal maths and writing tests. (The tests are intended to assess your ability to communicate effectively in written English and your competence in a range of mathematical skills. Maths will be at approximately KS3 level and literacy will be an extended writing task. The results of the tests will be considered alongside the Skills Tests.)
Applicants who are successful at interview, are offered a conditional place. These are subject to the following conditions:
- Satisfactory references
- Satisfactory medical assessment and Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
- National and Local Terms and Conditions of Employment
- Passing both maths and English QTS skills tests
- Satisfactory completion of between 1 and 5 days in one of our schools (this will depend on your experience). During the 1-5 day school experience, candidates are observed in a variety of situations and by a range of staff. We look at their approach to teamwork, relationships with staff and children, professionalism, flexibility and initiative during this period. It is also an extended opportunity for the candidate to confirm that they wish to become a teacher and that this is the right training route for them. As far as possible, we expect this to be completed by the end of the spring term.